Manila, Philippines 1929
He graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the University of the Philippines. He is well known for his paintings of old Spanish churches in the Philippines. He did architectural landscapes wherein he delineated horizontal and vertical with plastered walls. He rendered his canvases as single images like vignettes, wherein backgrounds are softly erased. He received a UNESCO grant to study European and Mexican churches in 1967. He headed the Sunday Times Magazine Art Section. He was a TOYM awardee in 1964, and a cultural awardee of the Australian government. He was founding director of the Ayala Museum. He was commissioned in 1978 by former First Lady Imelda Marcos to do a painting of the MIag-ao church in Iloilo as a gift to Pope Paul II.